Friday, October 7, 2016

Guest Blogger: K.A. Meng

Superior Species by [Meng, K. A.]



Please tell us about your latest book.
Superior Species is about an ordinary girl, Ivory Ames. She receives a scholarship to Los Roshano University. With no family, it is an easy decision for her to pack up her things and move there. When she arrives, she figures out quickly that the town isn’t normal. It has a sunset curfew, and all the upperclassmen are incredibly good-looking. That’s not even the weirdest part. Somehow, she has caught the attention of four gorgeous guys. Ivory decides to figure out what is going on.

What can we expect from you in the future?
More books and short stories. I love to write. I’m working on a series for Superior Species. I’m editing the second book right now and I wrote a prequel for it. But this isn’t the only series inside my head.

How do we find out about you and your books?
All my latest news will be on my website. You can visit my website at www.kamengauthor.com.

Why did you decide to write “Paranormal” novels?
I’ve always been curious about the paranormal. I am a believer, but I also want everything debunked if it can be. I am the one checking out why the closed door opened or why there is a thumping in an empty room.  

How much of your personality and life experiences are in your writing?
My personality is all over my books because of my characters. I put a part of me in each one. As far as my life experiences goes, if you have read something strange that I’ve written good chance it has happened to me.

When did you first think about writing and what prompted you to submit your first ms?
I’ve been thinking about writing for as long as I can remember. Writing off and on. It took joining a writer’s group for me to really start. What prompted me to submit my ms was the book was written and I loved it. I wanted to get the book out there and share it. I am so happy it worked out.  

Generally, how long does it take you to write a book?
I have to admit it, it depends on two things, my mood and my family. If I am in the right mood, two to four months. I try not to be in the wrong mood. My family are learning to let me write.

Do you have a set schedule for writing or do you just go with the flow?
I wish I could set a schedule. My life is hectic. I’m a mother and I work 8-5, Monday thru Friday. It sounds like a dream schedule, but with everything going on in my life, it isn’t. I actually give myself deadlines to get things done. My life is planned on a weekly basis. I'm more with the flow. 

What about your family, do they know not to bother you when you are writing - or are there constant interruptions?
Once I announced that my book is releasing, they’ve been more understanding to let me write but they still get in the way. They can’t help it though. I participate in NaNoWrimo, and have been for the last two years, I will be doing it this year too. They know I will cook them Thanksgiving dinner if they leave me alone for the month of November.

What do you do to relax and recharge your batteries?
To me writing is relaxing. Outside of writing, I usually go see a movie to recharge my batteries or hangout with friends something to get me out of my house.

Where do your ideas come from?
Life. An idea blossoms from anything. For example, Superior Species has been a series I’ve been planning for years then the vampire craze came and everyone seen the romance with them. I like these book and movies, but I grew up on vampires being scary. So I thought, “Would I date a vampire?” The answer is heck no. I want to bring back the fear in them.

Do you feel humour is important in paranormal and why?
Oh yes, you need those moments to lighten the mood of a story. It can’t always be fire and brimstone or in my case ghosts, vampires, and werewolves, oh, my!

What kind of research do you do?
Depends on what I am writing. I didn’t think I would need to research for some of my work because I made up the town, the rules of the town, and etc. but I had to research a lot. I do my best to make it accurate at the time.

Would you like to write a different genre than you do now, or sub-genre?
I have ideas for a short story comedy horror and fantasy. I have written a short story that a friend of mine said this should be comedy paranormal. I doubt that genre exists but it should. 
Please tell us about yourself (family, hobbies, education, etc.)
I am a single mother of a teenage son. We have four pets, two cats and two dogs. I honestly don’t think it is normal anymore for dogs to have the same eye color because both of mine don’t, one blue and one brown.

I wish I had time for some hobbies. I am a huge fan of crafting and love to make things. Cooking is always fun for me. I want to learn how to make 5 star food and everything from scratch. I have a great friend who is willing to teach me.

Over two years ago I graduated from college with a degree in Computer Science. It isn’t near the creative writing field but it helps me navigate social media.

One thing most people don’t know about me is I am a multitasker. I can do many things at once. The most I have done is six. Now I am out of college, I do only a few things at the same time.  

What do you think of critique groups in general?
I am involved in two, one offline and one online, and I love them. They are awesome and so supportive. I think critique groups can help as long as a writer understands that the feedback they receive are opinions and they need to decide what to use and what to ignore. Although, after ten or more people saying the same thing, they should probably look back at their work. I do!

How long have you been writing - have you always wanted to be a writer?
I’ve been writing for years, at least twenty Yes, it has always been about the paranormal. I remember an assignment back in elementary school to write a short story which I spun on its head. People all over the world freezing to death was not what the assignment called for. I don’t think I got top marks on that one.

My first career choice was a lawyer in elementary school. Until college, I wrote off and on. After careful consideration, I decided to not pursue being a lawyer. When I entered college, I had to pick a major so I picked one that interested me some. I joined a writer’s group at the school and took a creative writing class. I fell in love with writing all over again. So I changed my major to Computer Science, so I could at least write programs.

How many books have you written, how many have been published?
I’ve written four books so far. Each are the first two books in a different series. One book will be published really soon. I hope to have them all published someday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment