Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Guest Blogger: Vivienne Vincent

Dandelions by [Vincent, Vivienne]

https://www.amazon.com/Dandelions-Vivienne-Vincent-ebook/dp/B01IG97RCU/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1473163073&sr=1-1&keywords=Vivienne+Vincent

1. Please tell us about your latest book.
Dandelions is contemporary romance. It's a story of second chances. It doesn't portray anyone as a perfect deity but talks about flawed humans who are willing to improve themselves for the sake of their loved ones.
    2. What can we expect from you in the future?
    Right now, I only have one new story which I haven't even started writing. It's a friends to lovers romance which sounds somewhat cliché. But I think that all stories have been told. What's important is how they are told.

    3. How do we find out about you and your books?
    Dandelions is available on Amazon.
And you can find me on my Facebook author page.
And on Twitter - viviennevincen8

    4. Why did you decide to write romance novels?
    I call Dandelions a product of four years of unemployment. I was a total pantser too which made editing a real challenge. I was very fortunate to have Debbie Rowe, the editor of Dandelions, who helped me a lot. That's why I say that Dandelions is as much hers as it is mine.

    5. How much of your personality and life experiences are in your writing?
    It's hard to tell when you're writing fiction. Stories are mostly made up but they remain a reflection of who we are and how we perceive this world and those around us. People who know me have told me that Dandelions sounds like me. That is has a dark and eerie quality. But I cannot comment because it's very difficult to distance yourself from your own writing.

    6. When did you first think about writing and what prompted you to submit your first ms?
    My husband encouraged me to try and get published.

    7. Generally, how long does it take you to write a book?
    Once I start writing, the first draft doesn't take very long. The problem is to start and then stick to it. Writing demands patience and persistence. It's not always fun. The process can be extremely frustrating as well. With Dandelions, editing took much longer than writing the book did. I hope I'll learn from my mistakes and make things easier for my editor in the future.

    8. What is your writing routine once you start a book?
    Dandelions was written at night, all of it. But for my next book I want to have a proper schedule and work during the day; mostly in the afternoon.

    9. What about your family, do they know not to bother you when you are writing - or are there constant interruptions?
    Constant interruptions. I can only write while my husband is at work or asleep.

    10. What do you do to relax and recharge your batteries?
    I leave the house and go to a coffee shop by myself. I sit there for hours either reading or simply staring at the table. If it's a sunny day, I go out and sit in a park. Sometimes I spend time with friends and family which helps a lot.

    11. What truly motivates you in general? In your writing?
    I call writing a form of Freudian analysis. It just makes me feel better.

    12. Where do your ideas come from?
    They just pop up at random moments. It happens a lot when I'm ironing or working out.

    13. Do you feel humour is important in romance and why?
    Not necessarily. It depends on the story and the situation. I've seen writers who write very funny stuff but some of their work is extremely serious and I cannot say that one is better than the other.

    14 What are your thoughts on love scenes in romance novels, do you find them difficult to write?
    Extremely difficult. After Dandelions, I have a newfound respect for writers who can describe those scenes and experiences.

    15. What kind of research do you do?
    I use the internet. But I prefer talking to people one-on-one. It's very helpful talking to those who are willing to share their experiences and opinions honestly.

    16. Would you like to write a different genre than you do now, or sub-genre?
    I think I'd like to stick to romance.

    17. What does your husband think of your writing?
    I don't think he cares much. He's just glad that it keeps me busy.

    18. Do you ever ask him for advice?
    I do but I rarely get an answer. I do ask his brother and friends though and they try to be helpful.
19. Fill in the blank favorites -
a. Season - Summer
b. Type of hero – Flawed humans willing to improve themselves.

    20. Where do you see yourself in five years?
    I hope I'll be done with my second book and the third one will be in progress. Oh, and I hope I'll be able to find a steady job.

    21. Have you always wanted to be a writer?
    No, not really.

    22. How many books have you written, how many have been published?
    So far I have one novella; Dandelions.

    23. After you've written your book and it's been published, do you ever read it?
    Whenever I receive constructive criticism, and I mean constructive not meaningless, vindictive, and destructive, I go through the book so that I can avoid those mistakes in the future.

    24. Which comes first, the story, the characters or the setting?
    I think all of them come at the same time. I don't know about others but I cannot separate one from the other.

    25. What is the hardest part of writing / the easiest for you?
    Nothing about writing is easy for me.

    26. Have you experienced writer's block---> If so, how did you work through it?
    For me, the hardest part is coming up with the idea for a book. Developing those ideas is also difficult but first you have to have some kind of foundation. But of course, even when you're writing you have a lot of problems. You plan to write a certain kind of story but end up writing a different one. When I was working on Dandelions, there came a point where I was completely stuck. So, What I did was that I started scribbling different scenarios and then picked the one I thought would work.

    27. What is the most rewarding thing about being a writer?
    I think that you get to know yourself in ways you never imagined possible. You look at your work and wonder, did I write this? It's a strange experience that something's right inside of you and you're completely unaware of it.

    28. Are there any words of encouragement for unpublished writers?
    Someone told me that your twelfth book is where you really start. So be patient, be persistent, and most of all, be yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment