Friday, September 16, 2016

Guest Blogger: Raegyn Perry

Lavender Fields (Eternal Journey Book 1) by [Perry, Raegyn]


Please tell us about your latest book. My current published book is my debut novel, Lavender Fields (Book One in the Eternal Journey Series). It’s a romance that’s centered on reincarnation. It is essentially two love stories. It’s about one that doesn’t find its happily ever after, but gets another chance to. Connor Donovan and Greye Fields are two unlikely lovers, in that they each have their own reasons for keeping love at bay. When they find one another, it’s unexpected. When they embrace their love, it’s complicated. When they possibly lose it, it comes down to either chance or choice. Their story is funny, raw, hot and truthful.

What can we expect from you in the future? I’m putting the finishing touches for the sequel, Cypress Groves. This story introduces new and familiar characters, as well as different paranormal aspects.  It’s set in a small Washington town where danger, death and secrets collide with revelations, and of course romance!

How do we find out about you and your books? 
I have two blogs- raegynperry.com and raegynperry.wordpress.com, as well as Facebook (Raegyn Perry, author) and Twitter- @RaegynP. For the books, 

When did you first think about writing and what prompted you to submit your first ms? I think I’ve been a storyteller from childhood, when I would ‘envision’ the make believe worlds I’d introduce to my friends to play in. I started a couple of stories years before Lavender Fields. They are still on ‘Floppy Disks’!! I had sent my manuscript out to several agencies, publishers, and got the ‘Thanks, but no thanks’ responses. At some point, I heard a quote that really resonated at that time with me. I pulled myself up and through joining a writers organization, found the publishing home for my story.

Would you like to write a different genre than you do now, or sub-genre? Yes. After the Eternal Journey Series is finished, I’d like to get cracking on a children’s adventure series. After that, I have a plan for an adult mystery series.

Fill in the blank favorites Dessert.-1) Chocolate fudge cake w/French vanilla ice cream OR Fisher scone strawberry shortcakes.  City.-Paris  Season.- Early Fall. Type of hero.-Tall, dark, compassionate/sensitive, with a hint of being dangerous. Type of heroine.-Strong, smart, complex and flawed.

What are some of your favorite things to do? Outside of writing stories, I love getting lost in a good story. I’m happy when I can immerse myself in a good book, TV show, movie, or even theater play. I also love to dance, whenever I can. Spending time with those I love is high on my list, though I’m a classic introvert.

Which comes first, the story, the characters or the settingIt’s different between Lavender Fields and now Cypress Groves. LF was clearly the idea that morphed into a story that was character driven. For CG, it is the story that comes from the setting and the setting of the back story that is revealed through the characters. That sounds complicated and convoluted even to me! I promise though, it all comes together!

What are the elements of a great romance for you? A great romance should have that first show of interest/intrigue,  a chemical or visceral attraction, conflict, truth, believability, and of course a happily ever after.

Have you experienced writer's block---> If so, how did you work through it?
ALL THE TIME! I work through it by just letting it be sometimes. I don’t let myself get overwhelmed or stressed about it. The words will come, and the story will be fine. If I try and force it, it just creates more stress. Writing should be a joy, a passion. It shouldn’t ever been something that creates turmoil or grief. I’m working a bit through it now with finishing up Cypress Groves.
What is the most rewarding thing about being a writer? For me, it’s the ‘Aha’ moments when an unexpected plot, story or character twist, comes to you. It’s exciting that you’re exploring unknown territory and it’s all unfolding in your own imagination.
If you weren't writing, what would you be doing? I’ve always admired writers that produce or direct the Stage/TV/movie versions of their books, as well as have a cameo appearance in them. (Off the top, one of my favorites- M. Night Shyamalan comes to mind)That’s a world I would love to be a part of. I guess I’d still be writing then! So apparently, if writing isn’t in the equation, I’m lost!
Are there any words of encouragement for unpublished writers? Go for it. If you have a story to tell, tell it. Tell it NOW. To quote Confucius, ‘We all have two lives. The second begins when we realize we only have the one.’ 

No comments:

Post a Comment