Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Guest Blogger: Jannette Fuller


Coming Soon!





Please tell us about your latest book.

Transgression is a YA mystery embedded with suspense and a touch of the supernatural. It’s the first book in a series (Ambrosial Acres).

What can we expect from you in the future? The sequel to Transgression (Delusion), followed by the third book to complete the series.

 How do we find out about you and your books?
You can find me by visiting my website--www.jannettefuller.com. I’m always happy to receive visitors, and I do my best to make them feel WELCOMED. Coffee, water, and baked goods will be offered upon entering my domain. All virtual, of course. :) Information about the Ambrosial Acres Series, articles, blog posts, and other literary goodies can be found there as well.

Why did you decide to write “YA” novels?
I’m forty-three, but parts of my soul refuse to grow up. They say, You are what you eat. But I say, You’re as old as you feel. How much of your personality and life experiences are in your writing? As for Transgression, Amber, Trent, and Tirzah share a bit of my DNA. They represent a little bit of the teenage Jannette, except for Trent, I’m still a dork like he is. When did you first think about writing and what prompted you to submit your first ms? I was taking online classes through Liberty University, but was swept away during the Twilight craze. My friend had let me borrow the entire book series. I read all the books in a month! It was then when my life took an unexpected turn down the road of literature (right before falling down a rabbit hole). Generally, how long does it take you to write a book? Uh...three years. Pretty long, huh? I’ve never taken creative writing classes, so I devoured books, articles, blog posts, and listened to podcasts, hoping to learn the craft. My perfectionism was to blame for the long time period more than anything, though.

Do you have a set schedule for writing or do you just go with the flow?
I use to go with the flow, but I found writing works best for me first thing in the morning.

What about your family, do they know not to bother you when you are writing - or are there constant interruptions? 
No, not at all. My husband goes to work early in the morning and our daughter goes to school throughout the week. I have the house all to myself. Well, not all to myself. I have to share it with Alaya--our two year old German Shepherd. Do you feel humour is important in YA and why? But of course! Real life can be tough, daunting. We all have worries and burdens, and humour brightens the day, making it more bearable. Happiness is good for the heart and soul. Everyone can always use a good laugh.

What kind of research do you do?
For Transgression, I had to research trees and flowers. Ambrosial Acres is filled with them. What does your husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend think of your writing? My husband is AWESOME! He is super supportive and encouraging, and so is our daughter. I am so blessed to have such a great family. They understand the time and work it takes to research, write stories, rewrite them, edit, and the non-stop commitment of marketing and networking.

 Fill in the blank favorites
- Dessert (Anything chocolate). Season (Fall time). Type of hero (Superman, which is my husband). Type of heroine (Lennox Winters from the Defier Series & Parvin Blackwater from the Out of Time Series).

Do you have a favorite author? Favorite book?
Mandy Fender, Nadine Brandes, and C.S. Lewis.

Where do you see yourself in five years?
Alive and well, I hope. Okay, okay. Hopefully I’ll have more books written and published, making someone’s day a little brighter. :)

 How long have you been writing - have you always wanted to be a writer?
Not until my late thirties.

How many books have you written, how many have been published?
One as of now--Transgression.

What is the hardest part of writing/the easiest for you?
Everything is the hardest part. The first draft is the hardest of them all. To me, rewriting and editing seem easier since the bones of the story have been constructed.

Have you experienced writer's block--->
If so, how did you work through it? Nope. I always have ideas swimming inside my mind.

What is the most rewarding thing about being a writer?
Transferring the stories from within and giving them substance with every click of the keyboard.
Whether the author is the only one to read his/her stories, it’s a great accomplishment to be celebrated. Of course, it would be even greater to have at least one more person to share it with.

If you weren't writing, what would you be doing?
Reading more books.

Are there any words of encouragement for unpublished writers?
Your dream of becoming a published author will happen if you keep the passion alive for writing, if you commit yourself to writing as often as you can, and if you do what it takes to get your story as polished as it needs to be (deserves to be) no matter how long it takes you to do so. I stress the word “if” because anything is possible, but commitment, perseverance, and continual work are required to see your stories come to life. To hold them in your hand, and hopefully in the hands of others, whether in electronic format or paperback/hardcover.

No comments:

Post a Comment