Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Guest Blogger: Josie Montano

These Pink Books are Made for Loving by [Montano, Josie]

https://www.amazon.com/These-Pink-Books-Made-Loving-ebook/dp/B01CKBC2A2/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1471392740&sr=1-4&keywords=josie+montano#nav-subnav

What can we expect from you in the future?
 I write various genres, children's fiction, Young Adult fiction and non-fiction, special 
education resources for educators, children and parents. I have a few 
contracts at the moment to full-fill for Solstice, so working on the 
edits of two YA non-fiction books. Solstice has also contracted me and 
my colleague Archie Fusillo on the Italian version of our latest novel, 
Veiled Secrets - so that should be out later this year. I am also 
writing a YA historical novel that I hope Solstice may be interested in 
the future.

How do we find out about you and your books? www.booksbyjosie.com.au or 
amazon.com

How much of your personality and life experiences are in your writing? 
In every book I write there's a little or a lot of me which can be 
either from my childhood, or stems from various life experiences, even 
people who I have come across over my years can be morphed into a 
character.

When did you first think about writing and what prompted you to submit 
your first ms? I first wanted to be a writer from age 9, and at age 13 I 
submitted my very first MS to Golden Books (and it was also my very 
first rejection!)

Do you have a set schedule for writing or do you just go with the flow? 
I am not one who goes by timelines and deadlines, I need to go with the 
flow, so if it's not flowing, then it's not going!

Do you feel humour is important in YA and why? Yes of course, even with 
the darkest of books I always try to incorporate humour. We all attempt 
to use humour in the tough times, it can give us a slight release from 
what we are going through. Even with my YA novel 'Sunlight' which is 
about a teen diagnosed with cancer, there is a lot of humour dotted here 
and there.

Would you like to write a different genre than you do now, or sub-genre? 
I would love to write chic-lit. I guess I have dipped my toe into that 
genre with my published short story 'The Shortest and Longest Ever' - 
this gave me a taste and I liked it! I also hope to have a credit as a 
script-writer one day.

Please tell us about yourself (family, hobbies, education, etc.) I have 
graduated with a post-graduate certificate in Creative Writing, live 
with my husband and our Siberian husky, Coca. My children are now 
adults, left home, married, fending for themselves. My husband and I 
love to travel, are coffee snobs and enjoy going to the movies.


Do you have a favorite author? Favorite book? As a child my favourite 
author was Enid Blyton and I still collect her books. As an adult I 
really enjoy books written by Nicky Pellegrino who writes Italian themed 
novels - as I get older my parents country lures me in.


Where do you see yourself in five years? Semi-retired, travelling, 
writing for not only literature but film and TV.

How long have you been writing - have you always wanted to be a writer? 
Officially I have been writing for 17 years since my very first book was 
published. Unofficially I have been writing for 42 years since the age 
of 9 when I would self-publish my stories and put them into the school 
library.

How many books have you written, how many have been published?

19 fiction/non fiction for children, YA & adults; ALL PUBLISHED by 
Australian and US publishers

36 non-fiction/fiction for children, adults, professionals on the topic 
of Autism and Asperger Syndrome ALL PUBLISHED by US & UK publishers.

5 contracted to write


Which comes first, the story, the characters or the setting? anything 
can come first, can be a strong character of which I write the story 
around them, can be the setting where I will write characters into it. 
At times I can come up with a title, then have to write the book under 
it! What are the elements of a great romance for you? Fun, humour, 
flirting, whatever makes the heart go 'boom' 8-)

What is the hardest part of writing/the easiest for you? The easiest 
thing is when I come up with the idea, the hardest is then I have to 
write the story! I am an ideas person, and don't really have the 
discipline and patience to sit and write the full story - although I've 
proven I can! Just don't have to like it ha ha

What is the most rewarding thing about being a writer? Receiving 
fanmail, in particular from children who have enjoyed reading my work 
and are excited to tell me so. (see attached)

Are there any words of encouragement for unpublished writers? Just 
WRITE!!! and attend as many writing classes, groups, conferences etc you 
can to learn more about the craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment