Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Guest Blogger: John Stamp

Amazon's Author Central Page:

Brother's Keeper  Spoilers  Shattered Circle

Please tell us about your latest book.
               Shattered Circle is my third book. What I wanted to do with this novel was to take a die hard skeptic homicide cop and put him up against a supernatural evil. A blood sacrifice has left three women dead. The more Jackson Cole digs the stranger things get until he finds himself toe to toe with a demon, and on the run from a hellhound. How do you fight a supernatural evil, especially when all you bring to the fight is a pistol and a set of handcuffs?

What can we expect from you in the future?
               I'm working on a follow up to my second book Spoilers. Haven't figured out a title yet but I'm about half way through the first draft.

How do we find out about you and your books?
               Facebook @johnstampbooks (https://m.facebook.com/johnstampbooks)
               Instagram: @43stamp
               Twitter: @43stamp
               Amazon Author Page: http://amzn.to/2aoNB4H
               Website: www.lifeacrime.com

Why did you decide to write “ Crime”  novels?
               They say you write what you know. I spent fifteen years as a police officer and a Special Agent so the crime thriller just comes naturally I guess.

How much of your personality and life experiences are in your writing?
               I use my experiences as the seeds for my writing but I haven't added any real life experiences to any of my books.

When did you first think about writing and what prompted you to submit your first ms?
               I started writing in 6th grade because I was bored in Math class. I started writing seriously when I finished my master's degree and realized I had a lot of extra time on my hands. I took my old study time and used it to write 500 words a day. In a few months I had a first draft done.

Generally, how long does it take you to write a book?
               Six to eight months for a first draft, another three or four for editing and re-writes

Do you have a set schedule for writing or do you just go with the flow?
               I knock out my 500 words Monday thru Friday before the day job starts.

What is your writing routine once you start a book?
               I brainstorm and outline, then I jump in and write until I have a first draft.

What about your family, do they know not to bother you when you are writing - or are there constant interruptions?
               I don't bother even trying to write at home. The wife is cool and would give me time but the kid and the dogs attack everytime I sit down.

What do you do to relax and recharge your batteries?
               Fish, exercise, sit on the couch and veg-out

What truly motivates you in general? In your writing?
               Writing feels like good exercise for the brain. It's also a nice distraction from the daily grind.

Where do your ideas come from?
               My background mostly, sometimes I'll just get an idea out of nowhere and run with it.

Do you feel humour is important in __the thriller____ and why?
               Humor is important everywhere. Especially dark humor when it comes to writing the police.

What are your thoughts on love scenes in romance novels, do you find them difficult to write?
               Never read a romance novel. I have a couple in my thrillers. Not sure how romantic the scenes are but it's a good break in the action.

What kind of research do you do?
               It depends, in Shattered Circle I had to do a lot to learn about magic and rituals. In Brother's Keeper I had to educate myself on the ins and outs of human trafficking. Spoilers was probably the least because I only had to learn some terminology related to a couple of weapons platforms I was using.

Would you like to write a different genre than you do now, or sub-genre?
               Maybe fantasy or western. I probably will in the future. Once something comes to me I will probably knock somethign out.

What does your husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend think of your writing?
               My wife is a fan, She really liked Mai in Brother's Keeper and is a huge fan of Biannca in Spoilers.

Do you ever ask him/her for advice?
               Any time I write a woman character I get my wife's approval for how I put her on paper.

Please tell us about yourself (family, hobbies, education, etc.)
               Married with a three year old boy. We have two dogs. When I'm not dealing with all of that I like to kayak fish, bike ride, swim, bird watch, get out in the woods, I also enjoy photography. I have a master's degree in Forensic Science from the University of Florida (Go Gators!)

Fill in the blank favorites - Dessert. City. Season. Type of hero. Type of heroine.
               Dessert: Not a huge sweet tooth but can never turn down Apple Pie
               City: Tie between Charleston, SC and Prague
               Season: Winter
               Hero: Dark heroes, John Clark, The Crow etc.

What are some of your favorite things to do?
I like to kayak fish, bike ride, swim, bird watch, get out in the woods, I also enjoy photography.

Do you have a favorite author? Favorite book?
Elmore Leonard
Tom Clancy: Without Remorse

Who are some of your other favorite authors to read?
               Michael Crichton, John Steakley, Joseph Wambaugh, Arthur Conan Doyle

What do you think of critique groups in general?
               No experience there
Where do you see yourself in five years?
               Consulting on the movie version of Shattered Circle (just kidding). No idea, hopefully things are as awesome as they are now.

How many books have you written, how many have been published?
               3/3 Brother's Keeper, Spoilers, Shattered Circle

After you've written your book and it's been published, do you ever buy it and/or read it?
               I buy it and read it just to see how it all came together.

Among your own books, have you a favorite book? Favorite hero or heroine?
               I don't have the heart to say I like one over the other.

What book for you has been the easiest to write? The hardest? The most fun?
               Easiest-Shattered Circle
               Hardest-Spoilers
               Most fun- Brother's Keeper

Which comes first, the story, the characters or the setting? What are the elements of a great romance for you?
               Story then build it all from there

What is the hardest part of writing/the easiest for you?
               The Title and the blurb. The first 100,000 words or so no problem, a two hundred word summary and I'm stumped

Have you experienced writer's block---> If so, how did you work through it?
               I grind through it, even if the writing is horrible I keep typing til I'm through it.

What is the most rewarding thing about being a writer?
               Creating worlds and people and seeing how their story unfolds as the books are written.

If you weren't writing, what would you be doing?
               Sleeping in and sitting on the couch

Are there any words of encouragement for unpublished writers?

               Rejection is just part of the game. Keep grinding it out and sooner or later it'll all come together.

No comments:

Post a Comment