Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Guest Blogger: D.M. Sears


Amazon's Author Central Page
https://www.amazon.com/D.-M.-Sears/e/B00GMN6VOI/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1470755207&sr=1-2-ent


Eden's Mark                            Eden's Darkness (Ellethny Series Book 2) 

Please tell us about your latest book.
My latest story is a short horror story about a teen who gets caught up in a past life with a criminal who haunts her in what she thinks will be a night of fun during a prison tour.
Quinn and Missa are best friends-and complete opposites. Guys fall at Missa's feet while Quinn is quiet and awkward. Hoping to improve Quinn's 'cool' factor, Missa drags her along on a prison tour. Quinn has a sick feeling upon entering the old decrepit building but becomes enthralled by one particular inmate...one who has ties to her. Quinn will find her family ties come with more strings than she knew in this heart pumping thriller.

How many books have you written, how many have been published?
I have written 4 novels and 1 short and all have been published. I have 3 more in the process, including the third book in the Eden Series.

Why did you decide to write “ teen fantasy” novels?
I have always loved this genre of books personally. There is something fun and enthralling about ya books that draws me in. My daughter laughs at me because she says I am the only parent buying teen books for myself and not my teenager. I figure whatever makes me feel good!

How much of your personality and life experiences are in your writing?
There is a huge amount of my personality infused into my heroines and heroes in all my books. When I write, I pretend I am the person and write what I would say and do. It’s so much fun to become these fantasy people and live out my imagination in each book.

When did you first think about writing and what prompted you to submit your first ms?
I was going through some personal life changes in 2008 that began my journey into writing. I was sinking into a depression and one day I sat down and started what is now Eden’s Mark. It brought out of a bad place and for that it will always be a special book. For several years after I started it, I began my new life and shelved it. One day my daughter told me I should do something with it since I had spent so much time on it…the rest is history. I found a passion I didn’t even know existed in me until that first book was brought to life.

Generally, how long does it take you to write a book?
It really depends on what kind of book I am writing. I wrote Moon Over Mumbai in literally 30 days. I had a dream about the book and went with it. The Eden books both took me 4 months and Order of Amite took me over a year. So, it is all about the fire that grabs me and the flow.

Do you have a set schedule for writing or do you just go with the flow?
I don’t. Between doctor’s appointments, a full time job, and my daughter, I tend to squeeze it in when I can, but most of the time I write with my fountain pen in a notebook at work and type it into my manuscript in the evening if and when I get a chance.

What about your family, do they know not to bother you when you are writing - or are there constant interruptions?
My family is very supportive of my writing and when I tell them I will be working they are good about leaving me be. However, I enjoy noise and other distractions when I am working on a story. Somehow, I tend to thrive on the chaos to motivate me.

What do you do to relax and recharge your batteries?
After I have finished a book I like to watch a movie with my family or read. Sounds lame, but that’s my thing. There is nothing more relaxing to me than snuggling with my daughter on the couch watching one of our favorite movies.

Where do your ideas come from?
Memories of past things in my life, my family, but mostly dreams; I have notebooks full of crazy dreams that eventually become a story.

What does your family think of your writing? Do you ever ask them for advice?
I always send my manuscripts to my sister before I do anything with them. My sister is very honest with me and gives me the critique I need to keep me on track and get the best out of me. I ask her for advice a lot! It is important to me that my family likes my stories as I write for them just as much as I write for myself; I want to make them proud.

Please tell us about yourself (family, hobbies, education, etc.)
Well, I love to watch any kind of movie that features my favorite king of Bollywood, Shah Rukh Khan, nothing beats his Don! I also am a lover of music and books, obvi, and spend a lot of time with my friends playing cards and volleyball and with my family joking around.

Fill in the blank favorites – Dessert: any kind of cheesecake. City: Mumbai . Season: winter, snow makes me smile. Type of hero: the kind that is not afraid to be a man and take care of his woman without being ashamed. Type of heroine: the one that isn’t a victim but can stand on her own and be just as strong as she needs to be.

Do you have a favorite author? Favorite book?
I love Steinbeck’s East of Eden. I read it for the first time when I was 14 and fell in love. I have it so many times I have worn the cover off the book!

Who are some of your other favorite authors to read?
My full list of favorite authors goes like this…
Kira Sato
Jessica Therrien
Alison Goodman
Kiera Cass
Anupama Chopra
Christine Feehan
Melissa Marr
Lani Lenore
And last but not least Becca Smith

Among your own books, have you a favorite book? Favorite hero or heroine?
Hmm, my favorite book has to be Eden’s Mark because it was my first baby. Eden is everything I want my daughter to be when she is that age, in fact, the heroine is named after my daughter’s middle name. I wanted to give my daughter something to hold on to, a piece of me for forever.

What book for you has been the easiest to write? The hardest? The most fun?
The easiest to write was Eden’s Revelation. I knew I wanted it to be darker and more gritty, a different side to Ellethny and I think I accomplished that. The Hardest to write was Moon Over Mumbai. That book was mixed with a little fact and fiction making it a more emotional story. I needed to face the fact that life is a temporary state and we all go at some point and Moon helped me face that reality. The book I am having the most fun writing is Unexpected, which I hope to have finished in a month. I will save the details of that book for the launch!

Are there any words of encouragement for unpublished writers?
Keep on keepin on! You may feel overwhelmed and that you will never come to an end but you will. It takes time and a lot of work to bring a thought to life, but perseverance and patience is always key to a masterpiece.
How do we find out about you and your books? You can visit my website at http://myrissaeden1.wixsite.com/ellethnyseries, my facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/dmsears1/ or hit me on twitter @DSears1. Don’t forget to check out my books on http://solsticepublishing.com/ and other great authors!

No comments:

Post a Comment