Thursday, August 4, 2016

Guest Blogger: Dina Rae

Amazon's Author Central Page:
     

                                                          
                                The Best Seller   


Please tell us about your latest book. My latest book The Best Seller.

What can we expect from you in the future?
I am writing the sequel to The Best Seller which I will probably call The Sequel.  I'm about 25K words into it.

How much of your personality and life experiences are in your writing? 
 I am a self-proclaimed expert on conspiracy theory, so I try to add a lot of history into my work.  I get a lot of radio gigs from it!

Do you have a set schedule for writing or do you just go with the flow?
  I don't have a schedule, but I try to set goals.  In the beginning of a novel, I want to write 500 words a day.  By the end, when I know how it's going to turn out, I try to write 2000 words a day.  I also like to write longhand and then write it into the computer.

What do you do to relax and recharge your batteries? 
 I love my dogs and love to play tennis.

What truly motivates you in general? In your writing? 
 I read a lot of history and watch a lot of history.  I am a teacher by trade, so learning new things is clearly a passion of mine.  My writing reflects new things that I've learned.  I hope the reader also learns something new while being entertained.  The kinds of books that I love make me go on Google to see what the author is talking about.  I want my readers to do the same.

Where do your ideas come from?  
The History Channel in general (love Ancient Aliens), nonfiction books, radio shows that talk about conspiracy, websites, other people who love conspiracy and history.

What kind of research do you do?
 I try to be as thorough as possible in everything from the big stuff to the little details.  I gave myself a crash course in gene splicing, cloning, and in vitro. In my book I talk about a base called Broom's Lake which is really Groom Lake or Area 51.   I also research the details.  For instance, one scene in my new book takes place at a hotel in Vegas.  I looked at dozens of pictures of that specific hotel and incorporated it in my writing.

Would you like to write a different genre than you do now, or sub-genre? 
 I like writing nonfiction.  I have one nonfiction book to my name, Big Pharma, Big Agri, Big Conspiracy.  I want to write more nonfiction.  

Fill in the blank favorites - Dessert-pumpkin cheesecake. City-Chicago. Season-Fall. Type of hero-Jamie Lannister from Game of Thrones-loved to see him go from a one dimensional villain to a three dimension hero.  I love the whole show and all of the characters.  Type of heroine-Uma Thurman in Kill Bill-she's fierce and gorgeous.

Do you have a favorite author? Favorite book?  Do not have a favorite author, but here are some of the best: Dan Brown, Stephen King, Brad Thor, Jim Marrs, George R.R. Martin, Preston and Childs, Joel Rosenburg, Graham Hancock, and Suzanne Collins.  

How long have you been writing - have you always wanted to be a writer?  I have been a published writer since 2012.  It is something that I always wanted to do, but thought I wouldn't get to it until I retired.  Sometimes life has other things in store for you.

Which comes first, the story, the characters or the setting? What are the elements of a great romance for you?  For me, it's always the plot and then the characters and setting.  I am not a romance writer and romance is not one of my favorite types of genres.  But I love a romantic angle that is real.  For instance, The Notebook.  I cried off and on during that movie, moved by a husband moving in with his wife who was senile at a nursing home.  In Sex and the City, I cried my eyes out when Samnatha's boyfriend shaved his head because she was losing her hair from cancer.  That's real romance-when the chips are down and the leading man comes through!

Have you experienced writer's block---> If so, how did you work through it?  Yes, I have had writer's block.  What helps me the most is to write, even when I know that what I am writing is pure garbage and I will not use it in the book.  Something miraculous happens-an idea that continues the story will somehow show its face.  The extra writing is never a waste of time.

Are there any words of encouragement for unpublished writers? Find the time to write and read everyday.  Reading is just as important.  Read your favorites, but also read new authors.  While you read, pick out what things the writer did that you liked and what the author did that you hated.  Pick out how the author transitioned from one scene to another.  Analyzing the craft will help your writing.

1 comment: