Monday, December 1, 2014

Guest Blogger: Vicki Ann Bush


                                         http://solsticepublishing.com/the-garden-of-two/

Please tell us about your latest book.
I have two actually. The Garden of Two, a historical romance, and The Fulfillment, a paranormal romance novelette. The Garden of Two centers around young lovers Lillie and Charlie. The back drop is  World War I and takes the readers from Long Island N.Y. to the front lines of Germany. The Fulfillment is a modern day paranormal filled with angels, arch angels and demons.
What can we expect from you in the future?
My latest manuscript is a sci-fi with an underlining romance.
How do we find out about you and your books?
You can find my books on Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Solstice Publishers.
Why did you decide to write romance novels?
I am just a romantic at heart. I love the feeling when love is young and strong.
How much of your personality and life experiences are in your writing?
An large amount of me and what I am about, is contained in the stories and characters that I write about.
When did you first think about writing and what prompted you to submit your first ms?
I have been writing since I'm about thirteen, but it was my daughters, who prompted me to start submitting to publishers.
Generally, how long does it take you to write a book?
It depends. My paranormal trilogy, The Dusk Chronicles, took a few months. But The Garden of Two, has been cultivating for about five years.
Do you have a set schedule for writing or do you just go with the flow?
I've tried the schedule thing, but ultimately I just go with the flow.
What is your writing routine once you start a book?
First I get the title. Then the story grows from there. I like to write in the morning to early afternoon. Occasionally at night, but most of the time it's early in the day.
What about your family, do they know not to bother you when you are writing - or are there constant interruptions?
Most family members are good about leaving me alone. However, I must admit, my mom does not seem to grasp the concept. She wants to speak to me when she wants to speak to me. But she's mom, so I make allowances.
What do you do to relax and recharge your batteries?
A cup of coffee and gazing out the front window.
What truly motivates you in general? In your writing?
Music.
Where do your ideas come from?
Everything around me.
Do you feel humour is important in __put your genre here____ and why?
I think humor is very important in YA fiction. It's a brilliantly easy way to get an issue across, without boring the reader.
What are your thoughts on love scenes in romance novels, do you find them difficult to write?
I'm tame with my love scenes. I prefer the heat of the want to the actual instruction manual.
What kind of research do you do?
For The Garden of Two, I watched several documentaries on World War I and read many articles on line and in various publications.
Would you like to write a different genre than you do now, or sub-genre?
Right now, I'm comfortable with YA. But I started off with children books and have considered a few follow up stories.
What does your husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend think of your writing?
He tells me he is very proud of me and loves my stories. They pull him in.
Do you ever ask him/her for advice?
Yes. Sometimes with a technical issue. Ex. What would a teenage football team do when getting ready for a game?
Please tell us about yourself (family, hobbies, education, etc.)
I come from a very close knit Italian family. Originally, I was from New York, and now reside in Las Vegas. I have two grown daughters and a grand daughter who rocks my world. I enjoy music of many varieties, film and reading—I adore quirky dialogue.
Fill in the blank favorites - Dessert. City. Season. Type of hero. Type of heroine.
Homemade cooked chocolate pudding, New York, Fall, part nerd part intellect, strong and feminine. 
What are some of your favorite things to do?
Shopping, going to the movies, lunch with my friends and dinner with my family.
Do you have a favorite author? Favorite book?
Dean Koontz. Lightening, by Dean Koontz.
Who are some of your other favorite authors to read?
Ann Rice, Robin Cook, Stephen King.
What do you think of critique groups in general?
Can be helpful, most of the time damaging—everyone has an opinion.
Where do you see yourself in five years?
Hopefully, writing full time and being able to support myself with my writing.
How long have you been writing - have you always wanted to be a writer?
I've been writing almost forty years, and yes, I always thought it was what I'd like to do. I just waited until my daughters were grown to actually do something with it.
How many books have you written, how many have been published?
I have written eight books and seven have been traditionally published. The eighth I am currently polishing for submission.
After you've written your book and it's been published, do you ever buy it and/or read it?
I have read the children books because of appearances, but I have not read the YA books.
Among your own books, have you a favorite book? Favorite hero or heroine?
My favorite is The Garden of Two, and I'm partial to the hero Charlie. He is based off of someone special to me.
What book for you has been the easiest to write? The hardest? The most fun?
The easiest was The Dusk Chronicles,.and the most fun is my current manuscript, The View from Room 629. The hardest was, The Garden of Two. It has the most of me poured into it.
Which comes first, the story, the characters or the setting? What are the elements of a great romance for you?
The story, the setting and then the characters. Adversity and complete soul sharing love.
What is the hardest part of writing/the easiest for you?
The hardest is the knowing when to walk away—it's finished. The easiest is the story formation.
Have you experienced writer's block---> If so, how did you work through it?
Not anything that has lasted more than a few minutes. Usually I step away for a moment and get a cup of coffee, change the music and listen. Then it fixes itself.
What is the most rewarding thing about being a writer?
Meeting people who love my stories.
If you weren't writing, what would you be doing?
I'm not sure, film critic perhaps. Oh wait, I guess that's writing.

Are there any words of encouragement for unpublished writers?
Don't get discouraged. I have many rejection letters. I've saved everyone of them. Just keep doing what you love and let the rest happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment