Saturday, March 23, 2013

Guest Blogger: Catherine L. Vickers

Welcome My Guest: Catherine L. Vickers



Tell us a little bit about the book before we get started.



Here is the book blurb:
Based on the world of Aarabassa where one half is dark the other is in constant sunlight. A magic barrier divides the darker characters out of the Lightlands.

Only the Guardian Dragons and the Changeling can pass through the Magic Wall. When the dragons over hear vamplins plotting to attack the Darklands, the dragon Queen seeks the Ancient Mage for help.

Three young Princes have grown up alongside the Changeling a female mage. Their world will soon change as they are destined for different adventures.




How long have you been writing - have you always wanted to be a writer?

I remember my English teacher telling me I would make a good journalist and she also put a poem I'd written into a magazine. Unfortunately, life's events did not take me down that path. Then in my late 20s I studied English Language & Literature and had to read some English classics. This is when I became a fan of Charles Dickens and the Bronte sisters. However, I didn't start writing until my 40s when my children were older. I began my book whilst camping on a French holiday and we were stuck indoors all week with rain. I then just added or edited every now and then, taking around 10 years to complete it. Prior to this I had never dreamed of being a writer. 

I think what motivates me to be a writer at this stage in my life, is most certainly influenced by the modern day self publishing. Not that being an indie author is by any means easy, but Amazon has opened up so many opportunities for many writers.

Have you experienced writer's block---> If so, how did you work through it?

Who hasn't?! I must say I don't have these too often but if I do then I throw the plot around my family. One of my son's in particular has come up with a few ideas when I have got myself truly stuck. Coincidentally, I'm just in the first draft of the fourth book of my series and I had a terrible block on an underwater scene. He's away at university so I had to message him with a vague idea of the set scenery. I don't give too much away to him as I just want to brainstorm his head. After a few messages from him asking for more details he finally came back with something I thought would work, and it was brilliant. So now I can move on with my writing. I'm not one who can go on and write a different chapter, I will remain stuck until something takes shape, even if it means weeks of wasted effort. So I will thank my youngest son for all his wonderful ideas. 

Please tell us about your latest book.

Originally I had planned to complete a trilogy as I'm a bit of an epic writer. My plan was to have three large books. When I published the first book I was advised to split it into a series, and this turned out to be very good advice. Now my plan is to produce a nine book series. Part 1 Guardian Dragons is now available on Amazon worldwide as an ebook and a paperback. 

It is based on the world of Aarabassa where one half is dark and the other is in constant sunlight. A magic barrier divides the darker characters out of the Lightlands.

Living in the Darklands are the monshaad wraith creatures who rule with their magic and mind powers. The monshaad Emperor Morte-Bielze summons his neighbour, Lord of the vamplins. There are no loyalties between the races. Only magic keeps the Emperor in his seat.

At the other side of the Wall within the Lightlands, Rikka the hag brews a poison on her Master’s instructions. She and her son journey to the Royal City of Beldroth. Once in the city Fedros cleverly secures a post of guarding one of the Princes, by using the poison to murder the soldier on this duty. Meanwhile, Rikka convinces a local village of her herb and midwifery skills. Here she feeds her Master, the Emperor, with children’s souls through her evil spells.

Living in the Royal Palace is the youngest Prince Raphael, born with terrible weakness to his bones. His two older brothers love him dearly. Prince Amos is heir to the throne. Prince Leon grew up with the Head Mages daughter, Heather. The human King has been struck with grief since the birth of his youngest son, Raphael. when his wife Minah lost her life. Slowly King Alfred has been overcome with his loss and weakens as a leader.

Heather is a Changeling through her bloodline. She ventures into the sea and Changes for the very first time, into a female Huphin, with the guidance of the Huphin Prince. Whilst swimming, the dolphins become frantic and lead their sea Prince to rescue his daughter who is trapped by savaging sharks.
The Guardian Dragons and the Changeling are the only creatures who can pass through the Magic Wall that separates the Darklands from the Lightlands. The Queen Dragon overhears the vamplin Leaders sister discussing a plot by the evil monshaad Emperor to battle with the Lightlands. The dragon Queen then seeks the Ancient Mage.

Rikka is banished from the village and gains access to the palace with the help of her son, Fedros. The King’s mother is impressed with Rikka’s healing skills and hopes she can cure her grandson Prince Raphael, of his ills.

How do we find out about you and your books?

My book is available on Amazon amazon.com amazon.co.uk 

I have my own blog http://onewomansquestuk.blogspot.co.uk/  I'm still in the process of building it up but I do put any news here of my books. Occasionally I'll do a 'Character' article or an 'excerpt'. This is just one of many skillsl we indie writers have to learn, how to run a blog. You are welcome to follow me or even give me any suggestions to improve it. 

I'm also a member of goodreads whereby I announce what books I'm reading and do short reviews once completed. I also chit and chat about other booky things on this site. If you want to know more about Part 1 Guardian Dragons I have Book Trailer on youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment