Monday, February 11, 2013

Guest Blogger Lee Wilson

Welcome Lee Wilson to my blog today!

** Please tell us about your latest book.

The book is called, "The Last Hybrid: Bloodline of Angels." It's about two
people. One is Hannah who is going back to college after having lost her
scholarship a few years earlier when she, after being an overachiever in
high school, began drinking and partying instead of going to classes. She
has cleaned up her act and intends to focus this time.

It's also about a man named Daniel whose mother told him all his life that
he was half angel. It isn't until he falls for a red headed co-ed named
Hannah that the truth of what his mother told him becomes a matter of life
and death.

** What can we expect from you in the future?

At the moment, I'm immersed in "The Last Hybrid" which is a trilogy and
that means I'm only one third of the way complete. Beyond that, I'm
considering historical romance or science fiction.

** How do we find out about you and your books?

Anyone can register to win a FREE copy of the book at
http://www.TheLastHybrid.com. We're giving away several copies sometime
around March 1st. My personal website is at htt://www.lee-wilson.net

** Why did you decide to write romance novels?

This is my first one. Shortly after co-writing a nonfiction book with my
best-selling father-in-law, I remembered an idea for a novel that I'd had
as a teenager after reading about Nephilim in the Bible. I imagined a
half-angel character and all the difficulties and choices that would come
with that lineage. I remember seeing him in my head as he kissed a red
headed woman. All the while he's being pulled one way by angels of light
and the other way by angels of darkness in a psychological chess match
that threatens everyone he cares about.

I sat down one day and wasn't sure how much I would write or if it would
be anything more than a document saved on my computer. I finished the
scenes that had been in my head for years and the story developed from
there. It became a romance more than I decided it to be. One day I just
realized that based on how people put novels into genres, this one was a
romance. A paranormal romance to be exact.

** How much of your personality and life experiences are in your writing?

Definitely a solid amount. Daniel might not be exactly me, but I can
relate to him in so many ways (at least the way he reacts to his
situations and the way he sees life).

The book disclaimer says that characters are purely from my imagination,
but many, if not most of them, are influenced by people that I've known.
So my imagination, at least some of the time, was pointed in the right
direction by real people.

** Generally, how long does it take you to write a book?

Nonfiction is a lot faster for me. "The Last Hybrid" took me about four
years. I think the first book in "The Last Hybrid" series will be the one
that took the longest because I had to create the characters, the world
and the situation. The next two books will be a continuation of that.
During that four years my agent decided she was tired of being an agent
and retired. So I, along with several writers, were in limbo for a while.
That added time to the project as well. So the bottom line is, I don't
know how long it would take me on average.

** Do you have a set schedule for writing or do you just go with the flow?

I try to schedule. I really do. But usually my writing occurs from
sessions that happened when I realized I had time to write. In those
sessions I take as much time as I have and write as much as I can until I
have to stop.

** What do you do to relax and recharge your batteries?

Get a full-body massage. The relaxation, the music and the massage seem to
let my imagination function much more smoothly. I can explore
possibilities without walls it seems. Golf too. But I usually feel like I
need to be writing so I don't do either of those things as often as I'd
like.

** Where do your ideas come from?

Often times they come from dreams. If not dreams, it's me just letting the
little kid come out of me to pretend. It's kind of immature if you think
about it. But it's almost spooky how dreams reveal situations and even the
next part of the story to me. It's kind of like cheating.

** What are your thoughts on love scenes in romance novels, do you find them
difficult to write?


I don't find them difficult to write. Maybe that's because of the energy
that naturally seems to build when I'm working on writing them. I feel a
lot for my characters. Maybe it's empathy. I feel and envision sexual
tension even in some seemingly average situations or dialogue. So that
tension builds and releases itself when I write the scene.

** What kind of research do you do?

With this book I researched the theology of angels. I wanted to be
accurate in the way I represented them. The only liberties I took, in my
opinion, were in details that were in the realm of the unknown. My
father-in-law happens to be an angel expert, so I'd run details by him
occasionally. That was helpful. I also read a lot of scholarly resources.

** Would you like to write a different genre than you do now, or sub-genre?


Sci Fi for sure. Then sometimes I think I might just go crazy and write
Amish romance or something.

** What does your husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend think of your writing?
I was worried about that some when I first started. I didn't know if she'd
like it or not. She quickly became the number one fan of the story. She
would push me to finish chapters so that she could know what was going to
happen next. She's attached to the story and characters and sometimes I
think she forgets that this stuff is coming from my imagination and that
I'm not just the messenger. Or maybe she's right and I am just the
messenger. ;)

** Do you ever ask him/her for advice?

Definitely. She dressed Hannah in "The Last Hybrid"!

** How long have you been writing - have you always wanted to be a writer?

I've wanted to write creatively ever since I learned how to put words
together to form a sentence. My favorite subject in elementary was
creative writing and I remember that in third-grade English we were
assigned story writing a lot. I loved it. But I didn't need an assignment
to get me to write. I'd staple notebook paper together to make books.
Mostly about space adventures. I've always wanted to be a writer and as I
started writing professionally - mostly informational at first - I
realized that the love to do it had remained.

** How many books have you written, how many have been published?

I've co-authored two and authored one by myself. All three have been
published.

** After you've written your book and it's been published, do you ever buy
it and/or read it?


My second book was released in 2010 and a few months ago I bought it in a
Books-A-Million just for the experience of buying one of my books. The
cashier's face was priceless when she looked at the name on my check card.
"Oh my gosh, I've met an author!" she said. I figured she had met a lot of
us, but she told me I was the first one. I refer to my books a lot. Mostly
to experience what the reader does so that I can reassure myself that it
feels like I meant for it to.

** Which comes first, the story, the characters or the setting?


For "The Last Hybrid." The characters came first (at least the main ones),
followed by the setting and then the story developed. In fact, I would
often start with a dream I'd had or a scene I'd envisioned and let the
characters take it somewhere. Some of the people who've reviewed the book
in its pre-published stage have commented that they liked that they
couldn't see where it was going. What's funny is that most of the time, I
couldn't either. So it's no wonder they couldn't!

** What is the hardest part of writing/the easiest for you?


The hardest part is managing the complexities of a novel. Even when you
have a big-picture idea, you have to be careful that the details - even
the small ones - don't conflict or contradict. The easiest part is writing
a scene after seeing it in my head. It's exciting and fulfilling.

** What is the most rewarding thing about being a writer?

Holding the book in my hands for the first time. Feeling the cover.
Fanning through the pages and taking a whiff of them. Yes, I said it! All
books seem to have a different smell.

Thanks for stopping by today!

No comments:

Post a Comment