Thursday, October 27, 2011

Guest Blogger: Regina Duke

Welcome Regina Duke!



















Lizzie, thanks for having me! With Halloween upon us, many are looking forward to a few hours of delicious but safe scary time. Some go to movies. Others to haunted houses. And still others, like myself, withdraw into a world of fiction.

Can a writer of romantic comedy, suspense, and dogs write horror stories as well?
Oh, yes. Bwaaa-haa-haa-haa! Okay, that was corny. But over the years I learned that stories come to me in different genres and I can’t cram them into a single formula or rework them to fit a solitary line. That’s why I went indie. I wanted to share my stories, but I wanted to do it my way.

Over the years I have written eight novels. The first five were not ready for prime time. But writing can improve with effort, so I just kept working at it. Then a few years ago, I wrote North Rim Delight, a romantic suspense novel. What a surprise! I could have fun and tell a suspenseful story in the real world! Well, almost real. It’s fiction, after all.

I chose to begin my indie journey with North Rim Delight. Terri Baker is dealing with the loss of her beloved German shepherd and trying to shake off an abusive ex-boyfriend by taking a vacation to the Grand Canyon. Bounty hunter Russ Camino is tailing a hit man with a tragic connection to his family’s past. When he lays eyes on Terri, he falls head over heels in love, but refuses to admit it. Then he realizes that the hit man is following Terri, and he knows he must protect her at all costs.

I had such a good time writing about Terri and Russ, my dog-loving characters, and their budding romance that I followed up with a novella about their relationship three months later.

Because these characters live and breathe for me, I wanted to explore what happens after they returned from the Canyon. That’s why I wrote The Woof in the Wedding Plans. It’s a novella that catches up with them as they deal with a new German Shepherd, a super-rich and overly involved future father-in-law, and the wedding planner from hell. It’s full of dogs, danger, laughs, and of course a happy ending.

I hope you enjoy reading about them as much as I enjoy writing them!

As for my soft science fiction and quiet horror, my stories have more affection and relationship in them than one usually expects in those genres. Hence, “soft” science fiction. The only definition of that sub genre I ever found said it deals with social issues instead of tech issues, and that is certainly true about my SF. It’s all about how people deal with unusual situations. My horror stories are psychological, not gory. I have published six of them in Trickster and Other Stories. With Halloween coming up, it seemed like the right thing to do. So if you are one of those who look for your thrills in the pages of a book, this collection is for you.

When I’m not writing, I’m training and showing my dogs. I have loved many breeds over the years, but my current pack consists of two papillons (Buster and Darby) and a tiny rescued Shetland sheepdog (Gracie). I write about my dogs under the name Linda White. My training experience and show entries are under that name. Loving the Sensitive Dog is the story of my first papillon, Buster the Wonder Dog. He’s still alive and well and earning titles.

If all goes well, I’ll have two more titles coming out before the end of the year. One is a romantic comedy with loads of mystery and laughs and, of course, dogs. The other is about my second papillon. So I am writing like crazy!

Because I have two names, I also have two websites.

www.reginaduke.com www.lindalouwrites.com

North Rim Delight http://www.amzn.com/B0050Q57SY

The Woof in the Wedding Plans (novella) http://www.amzn.com/B005JSPBV6

Regina Duke & Linda White’s Trickster and Other Stories http://www.amzn.com/B005OKJMGYLinda

White’s Loving the Sensitive Dog, http://www.amzn.com/B0055KXLJWMy books can also be found on Barnes&Noble for the Nook.

7 comments:

  1. Lizzy, thanks for having me! You are amazingly efficient. :-)

    Regina Duke (logged in via LiveJournal)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very informative and lively. This is a new world, guest blogging :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Glenna! Sorry to take so long. I was treating my BFF to lunch for her birthday. :-)

    I probably enjoy guest blogging way too much. LOL I end up staying awake late at night to get my writing done.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Regina Duke

    ReplyDelete
  4. H Regina~
    Of course writers can switch genres and/or sub-genres! Or at least I hope so. Otherwise, what am I doing penning the first in a YA series? *gulp*
    Here's to a TON of sales for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Lynda! I wish you the greatest success as well. And wow, last night I had a dream that I rewrote one of my science fiction novels as a YA! Hmmm.... But that must wait until I finish the two WIPs.

    Thanks for stopping by! :-)

    Regina Duke

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for a very interesting and entertaining blog, Regina. I write RS and humorous contemporary romance but I just use my name. However, I have to write what the voices tell me so I'm working on a YA series. Since my romances are hotter than I would like a teen to read, I plan to use a pseudonym for the YA. Thanks for making me feel less like a split personality.
    ~J.D. Faver

    ReplyDelete
  7. No worries! My biggest temptation/concern is surprising my Regina Duke readers with a horror story. Hence my attempt to provide such different covers. I know for years the traditional wisdom was a different name for every genre, but that isn't possible when we are doing all our own marketing. :-) We are just multifaceted people who like to tell many different stories!

    Thanks for dropping by. :-)

    Regina Duke

    ReplyDelete